Scottish Highlands

Scottish Highlands

Sunday, June 11, 2006

Making It Up As I Go Along #222

MONDAY…
--- Pretty crazy busy day and I skip out on a meeting/presentation to keep getting some work done.
--- More of the invisible stage of things. Today I had 22 e-mails at work… all spam… I barely see friends at work (even when working the same shift as them). 4 e-mails when I get home… all spam. And two afternoon phone calls are telemarketers. Whatever, I seem to go in these loops of a few weeks as a social butterfly followed by a few weeks of dropping off the face of the earth. Consistency, there ain’t none!
--- And the car is making screeching sounds when I start it up… sounds that don’t go away until I get into second gear. Good thing I brought it to the garage two weeks ago! Hacks.

TUESDAY…
--- Takes two days for the garbage to be picked up in our neighbourhood this week… two days and counting on the recycling.

WEDNESDAY…
--- The recycling abandonment and lateness of the garbage removal is explained. Today I find a little slip of paper in the bottom of my mailbox that tells me our waste disposal day is moved from Monday to Thursday. Many didn’t get the note… it looked like regular garbage day last Monday.
--- Kind of quiet day at work… but still sort of busy too.

THURSDAY…
--- Least busy day since I have gone back to CNI. I guess it’s a good day for a meeting, but the social committee isn’t something I’m dying to discuss today.
--- Abu Musab al-Zarqawi is killed in Iraq. I know he was a bad person for the things he did but I find it rather disturbing to see supposedly good people celebrating in the streets or, worse yet, happily proclaiming it on news networks (a place where objectivity is supposed to be the goal). I just find it belittling of the human race to be so openly happy over killing someone. And the kid that died with him is a side note that people don’t seem very concerned about. I don’t think society takes the deed of killing seriously enough.

FRIDAY…
--- Tired day at work due to poor sleep last night. It also means I sleep on the sofa for a while tonight too. Busy day at work, a trip to the dentist and lunch with Kiyomi on a rainy cool day tells about all there is to tell.

SATURDAY…
--- Not a nice day out. So Karl and I go to the Museum of Civilization for a double bill of Imax movies. Greece and Kilimanjaro are both visited on massive screen. We follow that up with a pub for an early supper and I’m home for hockey tonight (although I fall asleep in the third period and miss the winning goal).


Take Me Home July

Take me home July.
Where hills surround my city as they did in my youth
Rocky, tree covered and earthy mounds
Much better than a compass
There’s no need to find north, south, east or west.

Take me home July.
Where winds blow constant
Smells of the sea mix with pine and marshes
You can drive me blindfolded
Yet the mixture of these aromas place me.

Take me home July.
Where ocean swells meet rugged cliffs.
Small breaks in the rock wall give room for beaches.
Beaches for families, lovers, or lone thinkers.
Sea beaten stones are toys or souvenirs for young and old.

Take me home July.
Where downtown streets follow no grid.
They follow old cart paths of past years.
Some zig zag along the path of the land
Others stop dead like cul-de-sacs where a home once stood.

Take me home July.
Where the maze of roads hide foot paths.
A driver misses them but a walker ducks in between homes
And comes upon a courtyard within a block.
A hidden neighbourhood much nicer to walk than busy sidewalks.

Take me home July.
Where a stroll to a record store is a treat.
It brings scenic views and smells along the way
And chance meetings with old school faces
Or an uncle who had the same idea that day and smiles when he sees you there.

Take me home July.
Where alleys hide pubs from tourists who’d never think to look.
But where locals gather for music, drink and food.
A warm sheltered place for comrades to gather
Away from misty fog or wind swept rain outside the windows with no view.

Take me home July.
Where a sunny patio brings lost friends together.
They sit and talk of light times or the meaning of life
Only to pause when a familiar face happens by
And stops for five minutes of catch up before continuing on.

Take me home July.
Where family gathers for supper out back.
The leafs rustle, the BBQ sizzles
Unassuming talk as the meal slowly prepares
And a game of cards inside when darkness falls.

Take me home July.
Where sun and moon rise from the sea,
Where distant fog horns whisper you to sleep.
Where friends want nothing but to share your company
And where family wait impatiently, wanting to envelop you.

No comments: