Scottish Highlands

Scottish Highlands

Sunday, June 10, 2012

Making It Up As I Go Along #509


Suburbanites
I’m becoming a suburbanite… again.

I grew up in the suburbs.  Though Wedgewood Park didn’t really feel like the suburbs.  With the forest surrounding our neighbourhood and our own separate garbage pick up and snow clearing… it felt like we were just living in a little town rather than a suburb. 

But it was officially a suburb.  Every house on a similar size track of land with lawn mowers running in the summer and kids jumping through water sprinklers in the evening.

In my mid to late twenties, I left the burbs.  Heading to the edge of downtown to live in a line of row houses.  I was a short walk to the heart of downtown.  Childhood trips to the museum or Captain’s Cabin restaurant used to feel like great outings.  Getting in the car and driving into the city… leaving the lush trees and lawns of home and entering the concrete world of downtown… it was an adventure. 

But after I moved, I lived a short walk from these things, and St. John’s took on a whole new life for me.

Moving to Ottawa, I very much entered the suburbs again.  First, at Uncle Lee and Aunt Ruby’s… I was a good week before I began feeling as though I could differentiate one street from another.  I used to worry about going for a walk and not being able to make my way back home in the sea of sameness. 

Moving from their place into my own, it was another suburban enclave.  But I was slightly removed from suburban life.  Across the street were the townhouses.  Those with their lawns to mow and sprinklers to run through.  I’d look out and see neighbours tinkering in their garages and sitting on their front stoop.  And I’d happily turn from this… returning to my Terrace Home life… with no lawn to mow and no shoveling to be done in the winter. 

And now, having moved again, I am a full-fledged suburbanite.  I shoveled this winter.  Pausing to chat with the neighbour as he shoveled too.  Making small talk about the weather as suburban neighbours would.

And low and behold… the lawn appeared.  Sods rolled out over the scarred earth create a suburban paradise.  Sprinklers arc water gently through the air to glisten upon green blades.  Neighbours lounge upon lawn furniture as neighbourhood dogs yap at each other and toddlers smack at their world with a found stick.

Yesterday I found myself sitting in a lawn chair on my front stoop… sipping an ice tea wearing plastic flip flops upon my feet.  And later in the day, back in those flip flops, I’m standing aside my strip of front lawn, watering it down meticulously with the new spray nozzle on my hose… and picking new mushrooms out of my little green paradise.  And from there… I was tinkering in the garage… spraying dirt off the floor with the hose… watching it pool out in the driveway all mucky and with blades of grass floating… making the suburban soup.

Still, mine is not a prototypical suburb.  As with the neighbourhood I grew up in, I’m surrounded by a forest.  It actually made my stoop sit a pleasant one as I wasn’t peering across the street as a nose neighbour as much as watching the birch trees sway in the breeze while listening to the sounds of birds and squirrels. 

But it is odd being back in the suburbs as a full-fledged member.  I feel as though I need to get a dog to join in the backyard yapping.  I feel as though I need to also get a family.  For it would have to be a wife tending a backyard flowerbed.  And I’m much too old to be running through the sprinkler on warm summer evenings.


SUNDAY…
--- Day shift on little sleep.  Slow Sunday though.  Some Sunday night TV follows.

MONDAY…
--- Still not great sleep.  And I get a call from the doctor’s office and will have to go in and see what there is to see on Thursday.  Tired of it.
--- Ball team gets killed tonight.  A frustrating game.

TUESDAY…
--- RCMP ball before work… a bit of fun.  Work is very busy.  Nights are often more busy than days now and I’m at it non-stop until 2ish.

WEDNESDAY…
--- Slower night but still at it until close to midnight before the die off. 

THURSDAY…
--- Doctor’s appointment is actually good news.  Enzyme levels dropping… Doc says “I’ll see you for a physical in March”.  I’m good to go.
--- Walk after lunch.  Almost an hour and a half out… find the smallest frogs I’ve ever come across and startle a deer as well. 
--- Water the lawns in the evening and finish up about twenty minutes before the skies open with a thunderstorm.  Oh well.

FRIDAY…
--- To Lee Valley for lawn stuff.  A hose… mower… nozzle… rake.
--- Small walk after I get back and put the mower together.  Half hour walking.
--- I guess no going in on eaves troughs with my neighbour.  Tuesday he said he’d text me later that night to say what he and his wife decide.  Nothing from him since then and I even saw him today but he just acted kind of weird.  Is it so hard to just do what you say you’re going to do? In the day and age of instant connections via twitter, facebook, e-mail, text… so many people are unable to understand how to actually communicate. 

SATURDAY…
--- Help Sheila move her stuff out of my basement and over to her place.  Watch some baseball on TV after that.  BBQ dogs… water the lawns… a suburban Saturday.

No comments: