Scottish Highlands

Scottish Highlands

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Making It Up As I Go Along #519


Little explanation ahead of this one.  In light of the storm that hit home this week, a series of poems dealing with the weather extremes I’ve endured.  Each numerical heading is the measurement of each event.  In order… degrees… minus degrees… feet… and km/hr.

Extremes
46
Hot tub heat
While walking the street
A ball game played
Without the shade

Thirst never quenched
Cicada bugs
Act as heat’s soundtrack

-42
Barren parking lot
Gloves and hat forgot
Howling wind of fears
Pain attacks the ears

Hands scurrying back and forth
Coat pocket heat
Transferred o’er freezing ears

21
First floor windows encased in white
Avalanche buried and out of sight
Bi-daily blizzards arrive
Unsure you’ll survive

Streets now lanes
Sidewalks now hills
Summer a foreign dream

148
Quite a wintery scene
Less a howl and more a scream
Leaning all your weight
Unsure of old tree’s fate

Window panes rattle
Upstairs loft shivers
As the woodstove keeps you safe.




WEDNESDAY…
--- Long day.  Work days… then stuck in traffic for 90 minutes to get home.  A sink hole at the off ramp of the highway to Orleans has a car sitting in the sewer under the road and the main route into Orleans cut. 
--- I get home just in time to change, grab some food, and out the door again for ball.
--- A late meal and some drinks after the game means a lack of sleep for tomorrow’s dayshift.

THURSDAY…
--- Tired at work.  Drive home is better… but I take a long route to avoid traffic and still take a little more than a half hour.  Though when I get home, it seems traffic wasn’t so bad today anyway.  May have been people cutting out earlier today than yesterday.

FRIDAY…
--- Walk in the morning.  50 minutes out there.  Funny, I’m starting to look forward to the Fall and Winter so that I can walk without mosquitos buzzing around my head.
--- Nap and then off to night shift alone.  Hmm… as I typed I left off the “f” in shift… would have meant a completely different type of sentence had I not caught it.

SATURDAY…
--- Rainy times.  Been much thunder and lightning off and on ever since yesterday evening.  Kind of fun.
--- With the rain… it’s up around 11:00… a little TV… back to bed at 2:00… up at 4:00… work shift again this evening.

SUNDAY…
--- Up around 11:00.  Lazy for a while… watch a ball game on TV… go for a walk.  The few days of rain have really made a difference to the creek and pond out front.  Pond is as full as I’ve seen and the creek is running into it as a babbling torrent.  Well, it’s babbling anyway. 

MONDAY…
--- Groceries.  Both a stop at the little market on the side of Navan Road (berries, grapes, apples) and Sobeys. 
--- Walk after that and some time around the house.  Heard from my neighbour today that the extension of Trailsedge to the right of my place may be on hold now and it would stay as forest there as well as the area across the street from me.  That would be nice.

TUESDAY…
--- Checking out blinds/shades today.  Got the living room window, ensuite bathroom, front window, and patio door all to do.  Ball’s in motion.
--- Ottawa is becoming a horrible city to drive in.  Just going across town today for the window coverings place, it takes me about 40 minutes to do a 20 minute drive at 11:15 on a Tuesday morning?!?! Not like I’m going in rush hour or anything.  Construction is everywhere and lanes of road are closed more often than not it seems.  Plus this city is horrible for the types of drivers in it.  Everyone seems to fall into one of two categories.  (1) drive 20 below the speed limit in a drift-along fashion.  (2) drive 40 above the limit with the attitude that tailgating is an acceptable means of getting around. 
--- Got the call while on my walk… the rocking chair is ready to be picked up.  I’ll get it tomorrow… yeee… I’m becoming an old man.
--- BBQ this evening.  Summer not quite gone yet.

No comments: