Scottish Highlands

Scottish Highlands

Thursday, November 06, 2014

Making It Up As I Go Along #596

Torn Blinds
Torn blinds
Howling winds through open windows 
It can't be
All was shut as light departed
Power dies
Dimness of clocks and outdoor ambiance extinguish 
Blackness brings realization 
An intruders arm lashes out 

A struggle in the night 
Torn blinds and open windows now understood 
Punching back 
Anger over sanctuary lost 
Ricocheting off countertop
Bouncing off walls
I reach out 
Found flashlight illuminates 

A partial face pauses the action
A bit of ear
Rough cheek
Strands of black hair
And the eye
Dry and clay like white
Bordering blackness
It can't be real

And this thought awakens me
Laying in the scene of my combat
Red glow of clock pulsating shadows across the room
A hint of movement by my window
Reality returns slowly 
Drifting in as if the beginning of dreams
I reach for my light
Afraid to see that dry clay white once again

Light proves my solitude 
Though my curtain does sigh
As a giant exhaling lung
Sharpening wits notices the floor 
My vent nowhere to be found 
That which normally straddles curtain 
Now enveloped by it
My foggy mind remains unsure 

So without another there to call for
Where parents once slept across a hall
But now lay thousands of miles away 
Where protective dogs used to slumber
Now only crumpled covers lay
I open my tablet
Battling the lingering creep of intrusion 
With the cartoon light of the Simpsons

And after a few minutes of guiding Homer
Of sending Bart on an electronic task
My concerns drift away 
The pulsating red of the clock menaces no more
The vent straddling curtain hangs still
The window shut and blinds in tact
I surrender my tablet to the nightstand
And close my eyes
Hoping to see the dry clay white no more. 



FRIDAY...
--- Work alone, sort of. Mark there in training. Mona not there. Fairly quiet until Mark leaves. Then lots of work comes in after 1:30. 

SATURDAY...
--- All alone today. And busy for a Saturday. Going pretty steady most of the day. 

SUNDAY...
--- Mona back with me. Fairly normal night. 

MONDAY...
--- Quiet last night. Nice way to go into days off. 

TUESDAY...
--- Shopping. Mark's Work Warehouse for sweatpants, leisure pants, socks, and mud boots.  Test the boots right away with an hour walk in the woods. 

WEDNESDAY...
--- Shorter walk today and hang around the house. 

THURSDAY...
--- Forty minute walk and more relaxing around the house.

No comments: