Scottish Highlands

Scottish Highlands

Thursday, September 01, 2016

Making It Up As I Go Along #660

I think it’s the afternoons that are meant for single people at the movies.  I went to Star Trek yesterday afternoon… One of about a dozen in the cinema.  It felt more like those that came in pairs were the outsiders this time around.  That said, one of the people at the movie had a cold or allergies.  He or she was blowing their nose every two to three minutes.  That isn’t an exaggeration either.  And when they weren’t blowing, they were snorting.  Lovely stuff.

Watched some Trump coverage last night.  He is not to get the full blame for the stupidity.  The fact that the media cover him with respect is a big problem as well.  I mean they spent at least a half an hour debating the wall he promises.  Will Mexico pay for it?  How much will it cost?  How big will it be?  I’m no engineer… Nor am I an expert on the Mexican economy… But even I know that Trump’s wall simply won’t be built.  And Mexico will not have anything to do with the subject.  I wish the media would just state facts.  And I wish there weren’t millions of people going around believing the garbage.  And also, you keep hearing the media talk about Trump’s tone… And that perhaps he’ll soften his tone next speech and so forth.  At this point, what would that matter?  Are people supposed to be so gullible to suddenly think a softer tone will make Donald Trump a reasonable man?  “Oh… Look he made sense now and didn’t seem so harsh… He’s fit to be president after all.”  

I have new neighbours and at least one of them likes the piano.  It seems a piano against the wall closest to me will allow me to hear said piano from either of my three floors.  Including a little listening party at 1:15 in the morning.  Hopefully the late night piano playing is not a regular occurrence.  I still haven’t met the newbies.  Haven’t seen them outside the house at all.  I may have to go ring the doorbell one day if this keeps going.  

Fall is getting close.  It dropped to around ten degrees last night.  The coolness is returning to the land.  I’m actually to a point where I’m ready for it.  Some yellow jackets (a type of hornet) have begun nesting in the siding of the house out back.  Since it’s actually in the siding, I don’t think there’s much I can do without either buying a wet vac and sucking them out (which I have seen as an option via YouTube) or to call someone in.  But I read that if they don’t bother you and you aren’t bothering them, leave things alone and they’ll all die off after the first cold snap anyway.  So I’m left thinking a night of -5 degrees wouldn’t be so bad right now.  Anyway, they don’t stop me from going out back… But I do find I keep an eye on them when I’m out there now and so I’m not really terribly relaxed in my own backyard.  

Where’d the Robins go?
Where’d the Robins go?
They run the neighbour each Spring.
Hunting upon my lawn
Nesting among our homes
Patrolling fence tops
Spotting food from up on high
And on high alert for intruders.

But now they’re gone.
Young all raised and nest left
But where’d they go?
A population evacuated
Trees left ghost nested
Moths flutter a little easier
Worms venture out to the morning dew.

I’ve never heard of their migration.
Discovery doesn’t flicker the story
Telling lazy sofa dwellers
About the Mass Robin Exodus
There is no V formation of Robins
No tales of invading hoards
Taking over Carolina lawns.

So where did the Robins go?
I’ll spot reminders of them soon
Clomping across the snow
I’ll find bare nests 
Upon skeletal trees
And smile as I ponder
Their perturbed chirps
As they glower at me from fence posts
Urging me to leave
My own backyard.

No comments: