Scottish Highlands

Scottish Highlands

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Making It Up As I Go Along #238

MONDAY…
--- Work is fast going… busy day. Lunch across with Melissa, Janice and Shawn. Squash is fine… not as good as last time around but okay. My hamstring was a little sore today anyway so I’m not surprised I was less effective.

TUESDAY…
--- Busy day at work… do some reading at lunch… and it’s a Woody Allen movie tonight (Scoop is pretty good).

WEDNESDAY…
--- Work is okay… but there are some people issues in my life right now and that is somewhat exhausting.
--- Prepare for the hockey pool draft on Friday… figuring the forwards is kind of hard this year.

THURSDAY…
--- Bad back all day today… slept funny or stress or fighting a cold or something. Lunch is a rare thing today… me and Kiyomi. We aren’t on same shift very often anymore.
--- Supper out with family… Ruby and Lee… my friend and their God Daughter, Melissa… and me. Nice evening.

FRIDAY…
--- Back is not doing well today. Still, I get through work and host the office hockey pool alright. I like my team, we have pretty good pizza, and it’s kind of fun having a group in the house for the evening.

SATURDAY…
--- Spent mostly on my back. It’s still very sore and I figure a day of as much rest as I can give it will help. By the end of the day it seems to be working… or it may just be the drugs kicking in. Either way, movies and some news and lots of sleep are all that happens today.


Another quick story. I’m working Sunday afternoon and was laid up trying to fix my back Saturday. So writing time has been at a premium. And for parents that may worry upon the reading… today, the back feels like it’s on the rebound. So don’t be too concerned.

Week of Pain
A week of pain. And it’s not the pain of my youth. Not the pain of playing a half dozen games of ball over two and a half days. The pain of bruises and hyper extended fingers and twisted ankles.

No, this week’s pain is that of less honour. On Sunday I hit a bucket of golf balls with my uncle Lee. We almost didn’t do it because of the wind gusts of the day. Such a defeatist attitude… a sign of the times to come.

After hitting the balls, there was the pain in my thumb. A little blistering from a lack of a golf glove.

The next day, I walk around my world with a tight and sore hamstring. I’ve had hamstring problems over the years. Running bases with explosive speed as the finely tuned pistons that are my legs chucked me around the base paths. Of course, from time to time, such a machine will develop kinks. And, by the fall of the season, it wouldn’t be uncommon for me to have to tape up my thighs in hopes of keeping my hamstrings from popping right out of the back of my pants. And many times, playing goal in the sauna heat of the summer ball hockey league, my hamstrings would cramp or strain.

But now… after an hour at the driving range and a night’s sleep, I have a sore hamstring. Simply pathetic.

Still, warrior athlete that I am, squash was played on Monday night and I took the tightness and pain and used it as motivation to play.

More problems on Wednesday. I wake in the morning and climb out of bed with tightness in my lower back. Is it a three day delay from that bloody driving range? Is it the squash of the day before yesterday? Stress? A cold? Or did I just role over funny sometime in the middle of the night? Either way… once again, it’s pathetic.

Thursday has back problems remain. And, when I’m getting the garbage and recycling ready to put out for the morning, I brush my toe off of a recycling box. Not even a hard stub… just a brush. I suppose I’ve been fighting a slight ingrown toenail. Or perhaps I’m just growing into my wimpy ways.

For the next minute, this slight brushing of my toe causes shots of pain to shoot through my foot and half way up my knee. What has happened to me? I used to play fastpitch softball and ball hockey on the same day… taking my equipment for one and leaving it in the car while playing the other. And now I have a body breakdown by driving some golf balls, playing squash, and taking out the trash all within a 96 hour timeframe.

It’s a sad state of affairs when such things beat me down. Yesterday, I slept for four or five hours through the day, trying to regain my back’s strength… and it did little. My toe has finally seemed to recover though… and my hamstring is back in piston-like order. So, I guess like the song says… two out of three ain’t bad.

No comments: