Scottish Highlands

Scottish Highlands

Sunday, April 03, 2011

Making It Up As I Go Along #458

Sleeplessness
For thirty-nine years I’ve slept.
More than fourteen thousand days gone by
And only a few of those gone by without sleep

And now I’m told it’s all been wrong
The sleeping position I’ve most liked
That’s put me into dreams

It’s not good for me
As cigarettes are to lungs
My sleeping position is to shoulders

Constantly cocked and ready to throw
My arm is that way each night
As I lay upon my stomach.

And so now with shoulder afire
Abandonment of comfort begins
Laying upon my back ceiling staring in darkness

And in times when sleeping in is due
I wake earlier than normal
Snorting from my back
Or jolting with pain from a roll to my norm

Smokers have patches and gum
There to curb and ease
What is there for me?
Other than exhausted ceiling watching
As time ticks by.


SUNDAY…
--- Shoulder is killing today. Woke yesterday to it aching… it got worse through the day and left me with only about five hours sleep overnight.
--- With ice and drugs, by the end of the day it’s improving again. But still jagged pain to try to lift my arm out in front of me, or over my head. Better be back to good within the next day or two.

MONDAY…
--- Shoulder still giving trouble. Worst upon wakeup, improving as day goes… but never normal. If this doesn’t noticeably improve in the next day or two, the doc may be visited. Bleh.

TUESDAY…
--- Shoulder improving but still aches… just the sharp pain is pretty much gone now. Stomach isn’t great today though. I think it’s the Advil actually. Taking it for my shoulder upset my stomach… that’s the theory anyway.
--- Work is alright. Did minimal typing… so not too hard on the shoulder sticking out at keyboards and such.

WEDNESDAY…
--- Night shift. Shoulder gets quite bad by 12:30 tonight. Go to reposition in a chair, lifting off the arms of the chair, and something spasms with the move. Constant pain after that.

THURSDAY…
--- Home and bed for an hour before moving to the sofa for three hours of sleep with an ice pack on my shoulder.
--- Doctor’s visit… Biceps Tendinitis is the word. Physio done right away and I’m off work for about 12 days to rest things. Got to go tomorrow to deal with supervisors and paperwork.

FRIDAY…
--- To work to fill paper work and discuss my shoulder. Drive in is tricky due to the pain of shifting gears… but better than yesterday.
--- Baseball… a draft in a pool via yahoo and a game on TV tonight. Good times… good times.
--- Fell asleep on the sofa to the poetic baseball talk of Vin Scully... A sure way to dream about the game.

SATURDAY…
--- Physio day. A bit of laundry and some hockey on TV as well. Looking good for me in the keeper pool. A nice lead against Derek going into Sunday’s last day.

No comments: