Scottish Highlands

Scottish Highlands

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Making It Up As I Go Along #457

Expiry Date
Shoulders only last thirty-eight years.
The warranty runs out and the part falls off
Clunking out of place
Underneath the hood of skin.

It’s that simple.
To bed without a thought while thirty-eight
Awake with tenderness at thirty-nine.
A little rotator exercise should do the trick.

But the strength fades
Each flexion brings a rrr rrr rrrr
Of the clunky engine
That’s supposed to move my arm.

Twelve hours after wake it hurts
Screaming bloody murder with a lift
Ice pressed into the joint
Trying to cool down the over-revved.

How to explain an injury?
Athletes point to crashes
Warriors putting body on the line
Merely hurt where others would die.

But in my sleep I was
Rolling wrong I suppose
As the expiry date has come
As I drifted to sleep
My last
Of thirty-eight.


SATURDAY…
--- Work is pretty slow… fairly normal for a Saturday.
--- Get an air filter for the car after work and the plastic molding around that part of the engine are delicate and brittle. A few pieces aren’t clicking together as well now as they were before the air filter change. Hopefully it’s not enough to cause issues under the hood. This is my first real complaint relating to Mazda… in about 3.5 years of driving their car.

SUNDAY…
--- Work is quiet… softball fun. We win 12-2… or 12-1.. or something like that. With me pitching and good defense behind me.
--- Stay up late for nights. I’m falling asleep on the sofa by 1:30. Could be trouble for nights not to stay later than that.

MONDAY…
--- Fairly normal night shift at work.

TUESDAY…
--- Up late. I don’t get out of bed until around 1:30. No afternoon nap today. I’ll push through tonight.

WEDNESDAY…
--- Up late morning and jet lagged. Lunch with Laura, Cara Lea and Janice is nice times. Always good catching up with Laura.
--- Exorcism not on TV. The first two movies of the series on the old movie network. Never saw the second one before. First is a classic… second is overblown, 1970s weird silliness.

THURSDAY…
--- Quiet day around the house. Montreal stunk against Boston tonight. Turned it off after two periods… just too painful to keep going.
--- Heard some Question Period stuff on the news. Hearing members of the Bloc seriously complaining to the government saying that the Conservatives have “continued to favor Newfoundland” while Quebec has been given a raw deal… this just angered me. Also made me realize how messed up we all are. It’s literally two people unable to agree that the sky is blue. The question is, which province is looking at the true blue sky… and which is looking up at bright pink? The Bloc has no business in federal politics… none.

FRIDAY…
--- Laundry and groceries and some politics on TV. Bothers me not only with how immaturely politicians act but also how the media covering them don’t seem to be annoyed by this at all. I’m tired of reporters bringing up a point that I find mean, petty and embarrassing of a politician, but rather than speak of it as “this isn’t good enough and we need more from our elected leaders”… the reporter smiles as if it was a particularly well done part of a comedic act.

No comments: