Scottish Highlands

Scottish Highlands

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Making It Up As I Go Along #485


Based on a Dream
I dreamed I was back in school today.  One of those quasi realities that dreams often create.  It was sort of high school and sort of university.  You’d walk down a high school hall waving to a high school friend, then turn a corner and teleport into the tunnels of university, rushing off to class through a crowd of mostly strangers.

And the friends weren’t my best buddies.  None of those I know best were there.  I’d see familiar faces of people who I sort of know on the most superficial of levels.  Nice enough people… the types you’d see and think “I’ll have to get to know them a bit better, go to lunch or something”… but you never do.  And they remain simply familiar, superficial friends.  Those you know on Facebook status levels. 

She got a new cat last week.

He hated last night’s hockey game.

She’s going jogging this afternoon.

He had a busy day yesterday.

And in my dream, I knew I had a class to go to.  And I knew it was starting pretty much now.  But I was in no rush.  I wandered the halls, waved at the girl who got her cat, and nodded at the guy who was busy yesterday.  And we all just sort of meandered into class, not caring that we’re ten minutes late.

And even though I know this is my class, I know little about it.  A philosophy class I think… which is odd, since I never took a philosophy class in my life. 

And in the dream world, it also appears this isn’t just Monday after a weekend away from my studies.  This is like me having a fifteen to twenty year weekend.  I’m back in class yes, and I know what the class is generally covering… but I haven’t read a book or studied a note on this material.  I’m in the room, clueless, and unconcerned about the cluelessness. 

That is until the teacher tells us “you may begin.” 

I don’t even see the papers of the test on my desk until she utters those words.  And I look down with panic.  But still, my brain scurries.  Maybe I know enough to get by?  I have experience in life, I’ve watched TV programs about this stuff.  Perhaps I can manage?

And I look at the instructions atop the page.  And read how I’m supposed to cite examples from a specific textbook.  A book I’ve never read.

In dream world, my panic increases.  I actually can see the unopened book laying upon the shelf in my locker.  I remember how I meant to read it… but just forgot.

I read the first question… the second… the third.  I turn the page over, hoping that starting at the back of the test will somehow improve my odds.  But I know none of it and my mind races for the right course of action.  Get up and walk out, leaving the paper blank? Make stuff up with the hopes of earning a mark here and a point there?

The decision is never made.  For at this moment, I wake up.

Lying in bed, panicking against my pillow.  I slowly… sleepily… realize no decision is necessary.  The test, so horrible and daunting, shoots twenty years away… down a worm hole of time… far far away.

And with relief, comes a relaxed stretch and heavy eyes.  Until a sudden jolt that often comes after waking from unpleasant dreams.

In the past, if I go back to sleep too soon after waking from a bad dream, I pick back up where I left off.

Well, on this day, I have no desire to return to that classroom.  No wish to return to the semi-school sort of university.  And no want to go back and see those kind of familiar barely known friends.

And that’s how I came to decide to get up this morning.  Still tired, and ready for sleep… I dragged myself awake and out of bed… not wanting to return to an imaginary class, where I’d be forced to take an unreal test that I’d have absolutely no hope in passing in the land of make believe.



SUNDAY…
--- Day shift.  Pretty quiet day.
--- The phone alarm betrays me.  Waking me at 3:30 rather than 4:30.  It did change the time for daylight savings… but bumped the location from Ottawa to Halifax.

MONDAY…
--- Lunch with Sheila… and a new showing for the house as it’s back up for sale.  Wednesday evening for the viewing.
--- Physio after work and some TV after that… with a good ol’ Yala Yala shwarma for supper.

TUESDAY…
--- Night shift.  Not much out of the ordinary.

WEDNESDAY…
--- Leave for work a touch early for a showing of the house.  So I actually work something along a 12.5 almost 13 hour shift.

THURSDAY…
--- Some TV in the early afternoon, after waking up.  Then the showings kick in.  I go for a walk, tired, and then get some groceries while a 3:00 showing happens.  When I get home, a request for another showing at 5:00.  So it’s a walk of the pond and neighbourhood at dusk and then some TV in the evening.

FRIDAY…
--- This house selling thing is weird.  First the conditional sale… which takes two full weeks before it goes away.  Now a second showing booked fifteen minutes before they are due to show up.  So I’m out walking the streets for two hours… well, hour and a half with a half hour chat on the phone to the parents.

SATURDAY…
--- Physio and some movies and hockey on TV.  And some UFC as well.  I think the UFC will take over entirely from boxing.  It does many things right… bringing top contenders to fight each other rather than dodging a contender looking for paydays… and there’s only one title per weight class.  Boxing is hurt by having so many organizations.

No comments: