Scottish Highlands

Scottish Highlands

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Making It Up As I Go Along #495


Bath Time
Bath time, for a kid, is magical. 

With the plug of a stopper and the turn of a few faucets, a watery world came to be.

I often wanted to start bath time at this very moment.  To be able to sit in a mostly dry tub and watch the waters rise… first over my toes and heals… then up to my butt… and then rising.  Rising as the Bay of Fundy.  Reaching knee level (when knee level was that of a six year old sitting “Indian Style”).  Up to hips… and belly button.

It was at the Belly Button when the desire to explore the Water World became too much.  Legs are uncrossed and I’d sprawl out on my belly… hands stretching out to the depths near the drain… feet kicking lightly in the shallows at the other end. 

Often times, goggles would make their way to bath time.  A deep breath and I’d be diving down among the coral beds… all pink… and camouflaged as porcelain.  The adults in my family seemed unaware of the beauty of the bathtub depths.

With the tub full and water off, exploring would take on a more silent mode.  My every twist and turn would bring splishes and splashes.   You wouldn’t want to scare the fishes… so actions would be slow and deliberate.

I’d bring my head down to the deepest site.  And turn to look up into the faucet.  Looking up into the blackness.  Imagining that mysterious river now temporarily dammed off.  Sure that it must go on for miles… perhaps to the sea itself.  And I’d be flabbergasted at the thought that it’s only this metal faucet separating me from Humpbacks, Killer Whales, Octopi, and Great White Sharks.  A slow drip would form as I imagined… and the drop would splash my eye… the obvious play of a nearby seal or dolphin.

When exploration ended, my sea became a distant watery land.  Great cliffs… as pink as the coral below the waves… rose up.  The land rimming the sea as the Greek island, Santorini.  And my action figures were the residence of this land.  Fisher Price figures… a bush pilot and construction worker… shared the land with Star Wars figures… Luke, Han, Leia, Darth and the Storm Troopers… and even Perseus, from Clash of the Titans.  Up in the depths, they’d take turns walking out onto the faucet diving board and leap off into the sea.

And yes, creatures lived down there.  Sharks, whales, a rubber hippo… they all bobbed about the surface, or lingered beneath the depths.  My legs, back sitting “Indian Style” would act as islands.  Where divers could climb out from the depths before the creatures would swallow them whole. 

On other occasions, the sea held races.  Bath Tubbies all wound up and sent swimming.  A seal with churning flippers.  A turtle doing the backstroke. And fish with wagging tails.  All trying to be the fastest from the depths to the shallows.  All trying to do the run in the straightest possible line.  But almost always veering off to the side until they clunk against the pink cliff face and push their way along.

And sometimes boats ruled the waves.  A tug. A schooner. And a ferry boat just calling for dinkies to be brought to the tub.  What good is a ferry without transporting cars from the land of the faucet to the far end? 

Funny, in all my bath tub worlds, the only rubber duckies in my life were the one Ernie sang  to on Sesame Street and the one at my Grand Parent’s house in Botwood.  The duck there was like an out of town friend.  Ready to meet up and play again those three or four times a year that we’d be out visiting.  Where the porcelain was no longer pink, but white and the water took on a yellowish hue. 

As I grew, bath time began to lose some of its luster.  The great seas became little more than shallow pools.  My explorations were hampered as I barely fit into the tube of water.  And my girth made it so that either I could have my legs and butt in the water… or my upper body in… but not both at the same time. 

The watery coffin became an annoyance.  And showers began to take over my washing needs. 

Today, things have once again changed.  My cigar tube tub has given way to an egg shaped oval.  And what were watery depths in the tubs of my youth pale in comparison to the abyss of today’s tub. 

Bath time has returned to a once a week adventure.  And I sit there, once again, Indian Style, as the waters rise about me.

And I’m left considering the absurd.  Wondering if I’m losing my mind.  As I contemplate a trip to the store… is 39 too old to buy your first Rubber Ducky?


SATURDAY…
--- Quiet day at work and I’m tired all day.  We’re all tired in fact… day shift stinks.

SUNDAY…
--- Work is much like yesterday.  Just no energy and pretty quiet.
--- Super Bowl after work.  I aim for KFC for a football treat… but drive by a packed restaurant and keep on driving.  A & W will do.  Mozza Burger, Rings, Root Beer… that’ll do nicely.
--- Game is iffy.  Ends more exciting than the first three quarters offer.  And Madonna’s half time show is likely the worst half time I’ve ever seen.  Her performance is best suited to fifteen year old girls… not really the prime football demographic.

MONDAY…
--- Some TV and napping through the day.  5 degrees today, so plenty of melting outside.

TUESDAY…
--- Night shift.  I’m a little slow getting in due to Rogers being late getting to my place to hook up the home phone.  No more Bell for me. 
--- Work is fine though… reasonable amount to do.

WEDNESDAY…
--- Physio in the afternoon.  A half hour woods walk prior to that.  Not a cloud in the sky and around -5 make for nice winter walking.
--- Some groceries and TV round things out.  I drive by the old place after the groceries.  New curtains up… looks like the old blind I had in the living room window is gone.  The old deck chairs remains on the balcony.  And it was good seeing the pond again.  I’ll be back there for more walks for sure.
--- The moon, these past nights, has been really bright.  Moon shadows out back and beams of it shining in the windows.  Living here, there are good views of the moon and stars… it’s a darker location than my previous one.
--- A letter today though from a neighbour who’s place was broken in to last week.  The basement window makes for an easy way in.  A little unsettling.  Makes me want to put up more ADT stickers in the windows so that they see there’s no reason to get in my place.

THURSDAY…
--- Great day with blue sky and temps near zero.  An hour walking in the woods with a phone call to dad from the trail.
--- A few movies in the evening.

FRIDAY…
--- Another nice day for a woods walk.  Not as long this time.  Probably out there about 25 minutes.
--- Some house cleaning when I get back.  Some sweeping, vacuuming, and wet swiffering.  It’s actually a fun time in the new house.
--- A leisurely soak in the tub and some writing round out the afternoon.

No comments: