Scottish Highlands

Scottish Highlands

Sunday, August 19, 2012

Making It Up As I Go Along #516


Things were slow going in the blog.  I basically missed the Aug 11 posting due to having to switch my shift at work.  When you work seven of nine days at twelve hours a day, there isn’t much time to put to anything else from a mind point of view.

Now, after four days off, I’m still tired and not sleeping great… but getting back to the swing of things.


Lawn Fridge

Who wants a lawn fridge?
Our garbage’s across the street.
Another car comes pulling up
The neighbours not to meet.

The fridge it is for sale
Three hundred to take it home
Just watch for mice up in the back
With fridges they need not roam.

On garbage day the cans
By the fridge they will sit
The other six days of the week
Why it’s by the forest that they’ll fit.

The cars they come all day long
In driveway, street and garage
Often drivers yell out the door
Of humanity, it’s a great barrage.

The fridge it sat for two full weeks
The lawn below did turn
I doubt an offer came to them
No lowball try to spurn.

The garbage sits in overflow
A meal for woods critters
I do believe the sweet raccoons
Will become garbage can sitters.

I know the world it takes all kinds
I know I shouldn’t complain
But when you have neighbours such as these
You’re liable to go quite insane.

MONDAY…
--- Off work for the stat holiday.  I do a walk and watch some Olympics while doing laundry.  US vs. Canada soccer is exciting but frustrating.  Horrible inconsistency from the ref and Canada ends up losing 4-3 in extra time.

TUESDAY…
--- Back to work.  Fairly quiet day.  Return of the Jedi on Blue Ray for the evening.

WEDNESDAY…
--- Go to softball before work but we get rained out about 20 minutes in.  So I’m at work about 20 to 30 minutes earlier than normal.

THURSDAY…
--- Good afternoon nap.  Good to the point where I wake a bit later than normal and look at the clock wonder if it’s AM or PM. 
--- Work is fairly normal.  Last night with the latest team.  I head back Sunday working as a tandem with Keith… though he won’t be there Sunday.

FRIDAY…
--- Rainy day.  Get groceries and go for a wet walk.  See something coming along a river ditch… either a beaver or a big raccoon.  I think raccoon… it veered off into the woods before it got too close to me.

SATURDAY…
--- Walk in the morning.  Rain much of the afternoon while I watch TV.  Supper with Karl and Jennifer.  We planned for a movie afterwards but mixed up the times and went to the Mayfair at 7:00 for a 6:00 showing.  Oops.

SUNDAY…
--- Back to work.  Fairly quiet day but do have some priority things to do in the afternoon.  One of those times when it feels like you’re being there can make a difference.
--- Catch the end of the Olympic closing ceremonies.  Not bad from what I see.  The Who really are a band with presence. 

MONDAY…
--- Steady go on dayshift alone.  Bit of a walk after work… a half hour… some TV after that.

TUESDAY…
--- Night shift.  Back with Keith at work. 

WEDNESDAY…
--- RCMP ball before work.  Funny how my infield arm is fairly good now but my outfield arm is that of a little girl.  Different muscle groups I suppose… but somewhat pathetic when I’m forced to throw beyond the cutoff. 

THURSDAY…
--- Off again.  Not a moment too soon.  I pour a glass of cereal and am motioning to pour my bowl of juice next to it for breakfast before catching myself.
--- Groceries… a leisurely walk filled with frogs and toads… plus two heron encounters… a big one taking off out of a tree I’m under followed by a young one flying up to a tree when I startle it.  Some TV and laundry in the evening.

FRIDAY…
--- Brisk walk… several blue jays out there now.  You really get an idea of animals in relation to time of year when walking the woods daily. 
--- Next door neighbour’s house for sale.  Makes for a slightly nervous time.  Don’t want some hicks who keep a fridge on the lawn next to me.  Here’s hoping for a young couple that are easy going.

SATURDAY…
--- Bad shark movie that was fun to watch… a walk…  bbq hotdogs for supper.  Decompression from previously working seven of nine days is nearly complete.

No comments: