Scottish Highlands

Scottish Highlands

Monday, August 27, 2012

Making It Up As I Go Along #517


Rainy Afternoons
Rainy afternoons bring memories
Of Chinese Checkers tinking onto the tin board
Marbles to tin as the rain to the window
My grandmother tinkering in the kitchen
As I tinker with the game.

Rainy afternoons bring thoughts
Of massive plates of nachos
While recorded movies whir on tape
Geoff fast-forwarding ads
As I gulp milk
Looking for salsa burn relief

Rainy afternoons bring shadows
Of blanket forts in corners of the house
Tucked behind the sofa
With cushions used as anchors
While I hold Sparky hostage
Scribbling crayon art

Rainy afternoons bring ideas
Of block built construction
Lego block moon bases
Mighty baseball stadiums
Or a CN tower all multi coloured
Red, yellow, blue, green
Not enough white to get the job done.



MONDAY…
--- Days alone.  Slow morning… busy afternoon.
--- Softball in the evening.  We get beat pretty bad.  I take two line shots off my wrist.  Glove would have been better.  It’s a bit swollen and sore after the game but fine the next day.  I do hit my first homer in two years… first one since my shoulder injury.  But we’re well behind by then and I hit it almost more out of anger than anything.  Well, softball anger… hardly ulcer worthy.

TUESDAY…
--- Alone again.  Fairly steady all day today.  Not much downtime. 

WEDNESDAY/THURSDAY…
--- Nights alone. Makes for long, fairly busy nights.  Play some ball before Wednesday’s shift and have Thai for supper.  Left over Thai for Thursday.

FRIDAY…
--- Awake way too early.  In bed by 6:30 this morning… awake for good by 10:30 after having woken up a few times in between those hours. 
--- Two hour walk today.  Walk to Farm Boy along the power line corridor… get a few groceries there… walk back with a couple of bags of food.  It’s warmer than I thought today… in the 30s for sure with humidity… so I’m feeling pretty tired and thirsty by the time I get home.
--- Bit of an afternoon nap is much needed.

SATURDAY…
--- Morning walk.  Do about an hour today.  Afternoon movie.  The Abyss really was a good movie… holds up well all these years later.
--- Head for the movies with Sarah but it falls apart.  The movie apps on my phone show The Apparition playing at 9:20… the cinema isn’t even showing that movie at all.  So we head off for some patio time… a snack and some drinks.  So still a nice night.

SUNDAY…
--- My neck is giving me some trouble.  Likely from falling asleep on the sofa at an odd angle is my guess.   

No comments: