Scottish Highlands

Scottish Highlands

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Making It Up As I Go Along #534


45 Minute Snowshoe
Schlumping along on snowshoes
Schlumping along to see
Schlumping to see what animals
May be looking back at me.

Schlump the noise each step brings
As metal scuffs over snow
Schlump echoing through the trees
Warning the animals to all go.

I schlump through a snowdrifted ditch
I follow other’s tracks
And waft of skunk drifts along
Were those skiers forced to turn back?

Schlumping brings me to the prints
A fox has come on by
He climbed upon this mound of earth
His silhouette upon the sky.

I make a turn and schlump along
A rabbit’s path I follow
Until the path runs in woods too deep
I leave him to his hollow

It’s been some time since I’ve seen
I’ve wondered where red squirrel could be
But my schlumping brings along a clue
His tiny prints in front of me

I reach the trail within the woods
Where everybody’s been
I veer off into unknown snow
Exploring sights never seen

I pick my way along the trunks
I schlump over rolling mounds
The only prints in front of me
Left where tree snow has come down

A pause from schlumping brings the still
I hear the chickadee song
It pauses from its twittering
Wishing me to move along

I schlump along with bigfoot steps
Over fallen maple I long stride
I pick my path most clear of twigs
And schlump as chipmunks hide

I break out to the open path
My footprints no longer alone
And looking from this familiar place
I carry my snowshoes home



SATURDAY…
--- Snowy first day of work.  The drive in is a bit rough and the driveway awaits me to shovel when I get home.

SUNDAY…
--- Work is fairly busy to start followed by dead for a few hours followed by busy again.  An odd Sunday.  And the weather… 4 degrees and rain to start.  Feeling like it’s in the -20s by the end.
--- Ball game after work is good.  We tie… which always feels wrong in ball… but it’s against a really good team.  Seems our new lineup is a solid one.
--- Late night TV push me through to the morning as I aim for night shift time schedule.

MONDAY…
--- Cold outside.  I stay in.  It’s sleep until around 11:30.  A few hours of TV and a snack.  Nap for an hour or so after that and get ready for night shift.

TUESDAY…
--- Still cold.  Second night shift comes with Wendy’s and a pretty quiet night.

WEDNESDAY…
--- Too cold to go out.  So first day off has me around the house… some TV and some naps.

THURSDAY…
--- Still cold but I’m going out.  Fifteen minute walk is it and, if the woods wasn’t a wind block, it would have been shorter than that.  -32 with the wind.  This means the yearly range of temp for my walks has now been about 75 degrees. 

FRIDAY…
--- Snowshoeing day.  Out for about 45 minutes doing that.  A fun time.
--- Movies fill out the day and by night, my wrist feels pretty normal again.  Though, by Saturday morning, it’s tender again.  Who knew bed would be so detrimental to ones health?

No comments: