Scottish Highlands

Scottish Highlands

Sunday, February 03, 2013

Making It Up As I Go Along #535


Hibernation
The winter makes me a hibernator.
The frozen world forces me in.
Hidden for the season within my cave.
Bundled warm under fleece.
Forever within shades of darkness.

In morning darkness I stir.
Rushing from warm sheets to warm layers.
Lingering in warm showers
Afraid of the instant chill
That comes when the water stops.

I leave in darkness.
Rolling back the frigid door to my cave
I’m still too cold.
And drive in darkness
Arriving frozen… to work.

Daylight comes while I sit inside.
Looking out at the brightness
But knowing the cold remains.
Meat lockers of dangling cows
Are tropical compared to this.

And when work is done there’s darkness.
The sun gone again before I can venture out.
My steps crunch towards my car.
I sit in coldness
Wishing for instant heat with a dial’s twist.

Then it’s straight back to my cave.
Rolling back the frigid door
Remote control allows me to avoid the air.
The car rolls indoors.
Ready to slowly thaw within it’s semi cool hole.

I climb back into my dark cave.
Warming soup on stovetop.
Huddling in front of televised glow
As gaseous flames lick away the frost.
I cower under layers as I daydream of summer.

Back to bed, climbing into warmth
The first relaxation of the day
Comes here at the end.
Curled with slowing heartbeat
As breathing switches to dreaming.

Dreaming of sleep ‘til March.

SUNDAY…
--- Tired of waking in the morning to wrist issuses.  But it improves as each day goes and gets worse again each night.
--- After work it’s softball.  The wrist always loosens up when I play.  We win again and, after I get back home, I ice things on the wrist and this actually improves it greatly.

MONDAY…
--- Up for work early and the wrist remains pretty good.  That ice was a miracle worker.
--- Lunch with Shannon.  The cafeteria is falling apart.  With people having moved out of the HQ building, they’ve downsized.  Dishwasher is gone now so we use plastic plates and cutlery.  The stir-fry station is closed down entirely.  Soon it will be nothing but wrapped sandwiches made off site… is my thought.

TUESDAY…
--- Alone at work.  Nice and pretty quiet night.  Freezing rain makes the car a bit of a mess to clear off before I head home.

WEDNESDAY…
--- Temp above zero again.  Nice to see some plus temperatures.  I was getting pretty tired of that -25 garbage.   Rainy day though.

THURSDAY…
--- Day one off.  Quiet and around the house as it’s cold again…. And quite windy on top of it this time.

FRIDAY…
--- Grocery run and some movies and shows on TV.

SATURDAY…
--- Sleep in some today… watch hockey in the afternoon.  Montreal does look good today.  Too cold still for a good walk.  Anything where the temp feels like -20 or worse makes me want to stay in.
--- Little cleaning as well today.

No comments: