Scottish Highlands

Scottish Highlands

Monday, February 11, 2013

Making It Up As I Go Along #536


Exploration

Stepping into powder
The first one here
Even the animals have stayed away
Curled up in burrows
Tucked away in holes
Hunkered down in moss laced tree hollows

Today I’m Armstrong
Pontoons upon feet
My very own astronaut suit.
I slide down my snow covered ladder
A slope leading to the frozen creek
And it’s a world of exploration

With each step a route is created
Modern day trailblazing
How many will see this path?
Following in my footsteps
Searching for the mystery of my voyage
Seeking my adventure with every step they take.

How many will think to pause?
Pause as I do now
Pausing to look back at the path that’s been taken
Pausing to look ahead at the hint of path
Not yet created but laid out by landscape
Pausing to look down at whiteness

The white is speckled
Speckled with reflective crystals
Creating diamond glimmers
Glimmers of these days
Cloudless skies a roof of deep blue
Contrasting the white of ground as a Greek island home

It’s all exploration.
Be it a telescope peering into the cosmos
A submarine protecting from the pressures of the deep
A river boat splashing you up the amazon
Or these snowshoes
Bringing you to the world of the winter urban forest.


MONDAY…
--- Monday on a Monday.  This job is pretty anti-social as it actually makes you feel a little claustrophobic to know you’ll have so many people working around you for two days of the shift.

TUESDAY…
--- Finish off season two of Downton Abbey after work.  A really good show.
--- Fall asleep on the sofa while trying to stay up late for nights.  Oh well… there are worse things than a sofa snooze.

WEDNESDAY…
--- Up around 10:00.  Tempted for a pre-nap walk but winds continue to keep temps lingering around -20.  Despite the sun, I’ve just lost all desire to be out in such temperatures.

THURSDAY…
--- Leave work during night shift as a snow storm is coming.  Streets are touchy, as when I pull out of the RCMP lot, I see a car flying down Vanier Parkway, doing a 360 as it goes, before jumping the curb in front of the hotel across the street.  Sometimes hitting the gas to get through a light just isn’t worth it.

FRIDAY…
--- Don’t move from the house as the snow falls all day.  Probably about 20 cm I’m thinking.

SATURDAY…
--- Shovel out in the morning.  And a snowshoe in the afternoon.  It is great as, for most of the 75 minutes I’m out there, I’m walking through fields where not only are there no footprints or ski tracks, there aren’t even animal tracks.  It’s just pure white powder.  Literally making me the trailblazer. 

SUNDAY…
--- Nap a bit in the afternoon before softball.  We go back to playing good, after an iffy day last week, and we win 10-5.  

No comments: