Scottish Highlands

Scottish Highlands

Friday, March 28, 2014

Making It Up As I Go Along #577

It Has Come to This
It has come to this
Uplifted by rain
Giddy over a few degrees
Skipping merrily through slush

Five foot mounds reduced to three
Sidewalks lined with muddy grass
A barbecue out of hibernation
Perched proudly upon neighbours deck

Enjoying the scamper of a skunk
Knowing warmth has lured him out
Pleased to see life's return
As I walk layered in fleece

Could summer be on its way?
Will the muddy grass morph to green?
Hiding toads and insects
While Robins hop along

Will fleece give way to light tee?
Pant become short?
lined boot become sandal?
Shovel become rake?

It seems a far off dream
A shadow of a memory
A childhood recollection
The science fiction of summer

For now I'm buoyed by rain
Encouraged by underfoot slush
Satisfied with fleeced walks
And drawn to muddy grass

My dream will soon come true.

THURSDAY...
--- Taking the block off work. So it's quiet house time with the radio playing baseball talk shows, a Blue Jay game from Spring Training, and a puzzle to accompany me. 
--- Snowshoe for an hour as well today. 
--- Movies with Phil in the evening as the snow comes down outside. The new 300 movie is a bit of fun. 

FRIDAY...
--- Finish the puzzle. Talk to mom and dad on the phone. Grocery run and some tv. 

SATURDAY...
--- Back on the snowshoes. If it's going to be down I may as well trek over it. 

SUNDAY...
--- Ball is a good one. We win 14-0 and I get some hits again. Good after going hitless last week. 

MONDAY...
--- Another snowshoe day. 

TUESDAY...
--- Get called in to work. The team due in is all away. One on vacation and the other has his wife give birth, so overtime for me. Would have rathered the time off, but oh well. 

WEDNESDAY...
--- Busy night shift on a continuation of the overtime. 

THURSDAY...
--- Quieter night alone at work. 

FRIDAY...
--- It's nice out but I'm tuckered out with the work of the last few days. Lay low in the house all day. Waking up by 11:00 at night. 

SATURDAY...
--- More snow. I ignore it and get lucky as the neighbour's dad comes with the snowblower and does my driveway too. 
--- Blue Jays spring training game on tv. 

SUNDAY...
--- Softball before work is good. Win in the last game of the season. 
--- Working alone. Shwarma for supper and pretty tired on a quiet night at work. 

MONDAY...
--- Mona back with me tonight. Fairly busy night of shoes and DNA work. 

TUESDAY...
--- To Melissa and Nicks for supper and a movie. Nice night with birthday rice crispy squares. 

WEDNESDAY...
--- Quiet birthday. Lots of messages through Facebook and text. A few emails as well. I order Chinese food for my birthday supper and watch some tv in the evening. 

THURSDAY...
--- Money spent today. Dentist appointment is followed by a trip to the mall. Run in to a friend for a chat there then I buy three pairs of jeans and a shirt at Eddie Bauer followed by a pair of shorts and cleats at Sport Chek. Groceries follow that. And it's a pretty big load to pick up there. All together, almost $500 spent today. Nice that mom and dad sent a cheque for my birthday. The jeans and shirt are basically birthday gifts. 
--- Do a forty minute walk through the woods after I'm all settled away with my purchases. The beaver has been pretty active on the tree chewing. And it's warm enough I'm out in jeans and a fleece. Still wearing hat and gloves but at least no long underwear or winter coats. 

No comments: