Scottish Highlands

Scottish Highlands

Saturday, April 05, 2014

Making It Up As I Go Along #578

The Last Snowshoe
Each snowshoed step up to the knees
Crusted white of winter
Reduced to a skeleton of snow
Air bubbles rimmed in white

Glacial pools must be bubbling below
Melted down from the surface
Percolating to the land below
Turning frozen soil to spring muds

My snowshoes keep me above the lake
Each step compressing the semi-snow
Until compression brings solidness
Keeping me dry above the Springtime sea

Hollow shoots of shrubs
Frozen in place for months
Emerging from their ice tombs
Dotting the once white land as nature's stubble

Stomping through the early Spring afternoon
The warming sun bringing back life
I pause with fleece unzipped
Regaining breath in the mild breeze

The first robin perches atop a nearby tree
Examining me curiously
Until I restart my trek
When startled chirps fade upon its wings




SATURDAY/SUNDAY...
--- Days at work on the weekend. Quiet office and nothing but a bit of evening TV each night. 

MONDAY...
--- Pretty normal night at work. 

TUESDAY...
--- Busy tonight. No break at all until about 1:00 AM. 

WEDNESDAY...
--- Delivery for me from the sis. Box of yummy cupcakes. Nice for the birthday sweet tooth. 

THURSDAY...
--- Was going to do a walk this afternoon but after a short go I find the snow just too soft and I go back for the snowshoes. Last snowshoe for the season... As rain is due tomorrow and Spring is just due anyway. Even with the snowshoes, I'm up to my knees on many steps thanks to the increased melting the last few days.

FRIDAY...
--- Food day.  I do a regular grocery run but then go on to Bearbrook Farm for a load of good meat and meals.  Lots of money spent but lots of good food in the fridge and freezer.
--- Some TV after I'm home as it's raining much of the afternoon and evening.  And mom and dad are booked for a May trip here.  I'll probably have to work part of it... but we'll have a fair bit of family time.

No comments: