Scottish Highlands

Scottish Highlands

Sunday, January 17, 2016

Making It Up As I Go Along #637

With heavy machinery still doing work across the road (taking them forever to landscape the creek bed area) my treks through the woods and power line corridor have been substantially decreased.  Once they’re done for the day, it’s getting pretty close to dark.  They seem to stop an hour or two earlier on Saturdays, and Sunday is the only day of the week that they’re not doing anything.  So, most of my exercise has come in the form of the driveway.  Lots of shovelling and cleaning up out there.  My back doesn’t appreciate it too much but dad would be quite pleased.  

This week I likely did between 40 and 60 minutes each of four  different days.  It’s currently at bare pavement with likely only about 5 to 10% of the driveway keeping a touch of stubborn ice on it.  And… To all who though my life couldn’t possibly get more boring… I think the new benchmark has been set.

With age must come a greater loss of balance.  I went out walking on a fairly icy path yesterday.  In past years I’d have walked it without a slip.  Yesterday, I twice almost went tits up… The second of those times doing a three second stutter step that would have made me the neighbourhood laughing stock, had it been seen.  I suppose I should consider myself lucky to have had the agility left in my aging bones to have not actually hit the deck.  Give it another twenty years and I’d likely still be out there… Head split open and crows feasting on my remains.

Florida is lining up much as last year’s trip.  I now have tickets to two spring training baseball games.  March 22, in Lakeland, for Detroit vs. Toronto.  Then March 26, in Dunedin, for Toronto vs. The Yankees.  I could actually imagine myself retiring to Florida simply for the baseball.  It has become my ideal way to usher in summer.  

Ice Dance
Skyward right hand
Lowdown left
Scuff scuff shimmy shimmy slip

Neck muscles tense
S-curved spine
Lean lean back then forward dip

Crow head cocked
Gnawing squirrel pause
Foolish foolish silly human drip

Regain control 
bashfully glance to and fro
Muddling muddling how’d I avoid a backflip

No comments: