Scottish Highlands

Scottish Highlands

Sunday, February 14, 2016

Making It Up As I Go Along #641

This week brought the coldest day I’ve known of in Ottawa.  But I didn’t feel it.  Yesterday was listed as the coldest feeling day here in twenty years.  I didn't leave the house the entire day.  There was a point where I thought I should venture out for a minute just to feel the -44 windchill… But I decided there was no good reason to do that and watched movies instead.

I have missed the whole four days off thing at work.  It’s been quite nice getting back to it.  Catching up on sleep and feeling no rush to get things done anymore.  The two day weekend always feels rushed to me now.  Got to try to fit everything in on a Friday night to Sunday evening… At the same time as everybody else.  But four on, four off… Fit in a snowshoe one day.  Watch some movies another.  Groceries and other errands can be fit in at leisure.  It’s a nice decompression.  


Winter Trek
Should I venture out today?
Into the frigid blue
Where bare trees stand crispy
Upon the frozen land

Should I crunch across the whiteness?
Across the forested emptiness
Where tiny, fur encased eyes glare
Within  their nut carpeted tree hollows

It’s a death zone now
Even bundled, slowly dying
Knowing my insulation will fail the night
Leaving me brittlely blue by dawn 

Yet an hours worth is pure temptation
To play the adventurer
In Everest climbing temperatures
As my imagination treks Antarctica
While barely out of sight from home


1 comment:

Darlene Fast said...

Love your view on life!