Scottish Highlands

Scottish Highlands

Monday, February 22, 2016

Making It Up As I Go Along #642

Had a snow storm last week. A real one. Don't get many in Ottawa but 50 cms qualifies to me. Barely got home after work. If I didn't have my little car shovel, I wouldn't have even left the parking lot at work. 

Snowshoeing always feels like a bit of an adventure when you're alone and seeing fresh coyote tracks. I know a single coyote shouldn't be a danger but I do keep an eye out… And imagine myself having to use my snowshoe poles to fight off the beast. 

First time Mazda has annoyed me was today.  Bring the car in for a recall.  The letter says it’ll take a half hour.  At the dealer they say more like an hour.  I go for a twenty minute walk before coming back to sit patiently.  At an hour and a half I go to them and ask what’s going on “Oh it’s done, we called out for you”.  The guy I dealt with came out and spoke to several other people sitting only a few feet away from me, and seemingly didn’t notice I was there.  I could have sat there all day, it seems, and they would have just left me alone to watch Ellen on their TV.  I even had my cell phone out in my hand the entire time.  They could have phoned me if I didn’t answer their phantom call in the showroom.  An hour of my life, wasted.  Honestly, in the customer service industry, in Ontario, it seems if you aren’t a bit of a prick to them, the service staff will ignore you.  Or maybe I’ve just got one of those forgettable faces.  Either way, an easy going attitude doesn't really work here.

Training Day
Tomorrow I go a team building
In my office space
Another thing they throw at you
To break up the monotonous pace

I guess I’ll learn to fall back into the arms
Of a dainty coworking friend
I suppose such trust is valuable
Though for me it’ll likely mean the end

We’ll learn to solve vital puzzles
How to cross rivers with with chicken and fox
And of course such lessons are mandatory
I’d gain more at home with the idiot box

Is it so wrong to just want to do
The job for which I’m paid 
They keep wanting to distract my day
Oh home, I’ll wish I’ve stayed

Eight hours of this awful hell
That long to become a good teammate
Oh what is it I’ve done dear Lord
To earn this painful fate?

It’s not as though we’re getting away
For this there’s no ski chalet
No they’ll trudge us to a basement room
Buried from daylight we will stay

Pale in our underground room
Eight hours to go insane
With lessons learned to leak out my ear
The next day will return to the old same.

No comments: