Scottish Highlands

Scottish Highlands

Sunday, March 13, 2016

Making It Up As I Go Along #645

The woods took a hit this week.  The part area for the upcoming road has been cut in.  From my house, I see no difference.  But a woods trail walk now gets cut off in the last quarter of it.  They cut a deeper swath than I had envisioned.  But there is still lots kept and now there’s no big shock to come… It is what it is.  Got a thing in the mail saying that the road will be in and finished by the fall of 2017.  So I guess from now until then, walks will be somewhat hampered by construction.  I’m reaching the point where a long walk may need to come with a small drive in the car to the Mer Bleue Reserve.  An unhampered walk across the street likely won’t be much more than a half hour now.  Unless I can cut across the construction to get to the power line corridor.

Summer trip is booked.  I may actually do a fair bit of travelling this year.  Next weekend, I’ll be flying down to Florida.  Now I’ve got things booked to spend much of July in Newfoundland.  The plan is for a September trip home as well and unless the family comes to me for Christmas, there’s that too.  So that’s three definite and likely four trips between now and Christmas.  And I really need to figure a way to get BC back in the plans.  Haven’t been there in several years.  In fact, when I next see sister, it’ll have been two years since our last meeting.  I’m sure that will be the longest we’ve gone not together.
On The Move
The geese are on the move again
Vee’ing overhead
Bold black against the sky blue
As I peer up through naked trees

Where Fall decent Honks seem weary
The Spring chatter is energetic
That’s what Winter vacation does to you
Even when you’re a goose

But this is only a pit stop
They transition through
With transitioning seasons
Missing our heat and cold

That’s why I pause to watch
To acknowledge the familiar travellers
Our next meeting will be in a multicoloured world
As Arctic winds forecast the coming freeze
And weary honks will echo my abandoned world.

No comments: