Scottish Highlands

Scottish Highlands

Tuesday, March 01, 2016

Making It Up As I Go Along #643

Had to help a poor vole out of my basement window well.  I heard some scratching on my window a few days back and looked to find the little guy running about in the six foot well.  He had burrows made in the snow with multiple entrances.  

Within fifteen minutes of me shovelling a few scoops of snow in at one corner, creating a ramp for the vole, his tracks could be seen from his scurry away to freedom.

More snow on the way for Ottawa.  If we get the 25 cms they’re calling for, I may not make it to work.  This is the first winter I’ve thought that maybe I should have a higher vehicle than I do.  The Mazda 3 is great and all, but it’s low, and twice I’ve bottomed out on the snow in the road to be stuck.  And plows don’t make Trailsedge a high priority.  It seems to be a “day after the storm” kind of place for road work.  

I know her clothes shouldn’t matter, but Hillary Clinton really needs to stop dressing like a North Korean leader.  

I have reached the point in my sports viewing life where I’d rather watch video of the Blue Jays taking batting practice in Spring Training than watch a non Montreal Canadiens hockey game.  Yesterday's NHL trade deadline coverage was simply painful… On both networks.  Gimmicky joking, pointless interviews with fourth line plugs who got traded, insider jokes among the hosts.  It was just horrid.  TSN’s hosts even seemed to openly make fun of their own coverage.  Just bizarre.  I was glad I turned it off fairly early in the day.

Lightbulb Land
With a fresh coat of snow paint
And the cloudless winters day
The land is as a great lightbulb

Inside all lights are off
The natural outer glow
Glimmering off inner walls

And outside calls for dark glasses
Shading eyes from the eclipse like land
An unprotected look threatens blindness

Such days beckon
They call for snowshoe adventures
It’s time to go towards the light.

No comments: