Scottish Highlands

Scottish Highlands

Sunday, April 17, 2016

Making It Up As I Go Along #648

May finally be moving in to real Spring weather.  Sunny and 21 today and was sun and 16 yesterday.  BBQs, baseball on TV, a few flowers poking up out of the ground… Winter may be over.

With that, I’ve jinxed the whole thing.  Today I took my yard furniture out of the computer room and put it back out on the patio.  So a foot of snow may soon follow.

Showing my age, moving wicker patio furniture down the stairs and out to the yard seems to have done a number on my back.  No pops or snaps or anything, but as I lay down the last piece of 20 lb furniture, my lower back tightened quite a bit.  I think it was a good decision to skip softball this summer.  How is one expected to run about a field, jumping, running and diving… When they can’t move patio furniture without injury?  Anyway, a hot bath seems to have helped.  It’s still stiff and tender but not as knotted as originally.  

Glacial Lake
Ours is a glacial lake
Fed by turquoise creek
Flowing over rocky land
Milky water mirroring the world above

But ours is not a destination.
No honeymooners come for the week
Great mountains and brilliant ice flows
Both thousands of miles away.

Yet still our waters are glacial.
A silty tea outside my window
Made so by human hands
Not the inspiration of natures processes

The winter strip of nature
Tearing plants and ancient soils away
Leaving water to flow flilterless 
Carrying remaining silts as winter melts

But without white capped mountains
It’s alien
The turquoise waters only beautiful
In high altitude settings.

So I wish for the day
When the tea settles to the bottom
And leaves me with mud bottomed waters
As a sign of a healthy forested landscape
Where frogs lounge away the summer heat
And muskrat and beaver make themselves at home

My current glacial waters feels void
A watery desert
Cautiously explored by duck and geese
And completely avoided by those smart smart frogs.

No comments: