Scottish Highlands

Scottish Highlands

Friday, November 04, 2016

Making It Up As I Go Along #664

So approximately 47 million people, in the US and Canada combined, watched the Cubs win the World Series.  I was kind of torn watching it.  I’m not a Cubs fan.  In fact there are three or four players on that team that I outright don’t like… while there was nobody I Cleveland I didn’t like, and several that I really wish were on my team… But it’s been 108 years for the poor ol’ Cubs and you’d need a heart of stone not to feel good for them.  So many stories around the fans of that team.  Especially the man in his late fifties who promised his now deceased father that they’d be together to see the Cubs win.  So this man took a radio and sat at his father’s grave to take in the game.  And it was quite a game to watch.  Good playoff baseball is as good as sports get.

I think it’s been the first time since I’ve moved to Ottawa that I was able to wear a pair of shorts in November.  Felt like 21 on November 2nd.  Hard to beat that.

An odd North American thing… or, at least odd to me… is how preoccupied we are about where we’re from.  That’s not to say that I find history and genealogy boring.  I’ve heard stories of my family background where I’d think “hmm, that’s kind of neat if it’s true”.  But we, in North America, are always trying to proudly state how we’re Irish or Italian or Greek… or whatever other nationality.  But the connection likely goes back hundreds of years.  At what point do you call yourself Canadian instead of Irish? It seems that the English are about the only ones who don’t do this.  Nobody in North America proudly say that “I’m English!”  It would simply confuse others as they’d ask if you’re from London and wonder what happened to your accent.

Writers Block
Keyboard clacking
Unknown words
Clacked in hope
That one of these words
Will inspire breakthrough
Clearing cobwebs
Burn the fog
Release the mind

But the mundane wins
A wall crawling bug
Carried out doors
Thoughts of the fridge
As evening nears
A sun beam
Interrupted
By shadow branches
Blown by winds
That lingers silent
Outside my window  

No comments: