Scottish Highlands

Scottish Highlands

Friday, April 21, 2017

Making It Up As I Go Along #678

Well, skipped out on the blog last week in favour of working on organizing my photos.  I should have been able to do both… but just got deep enough into the photos that I didn’t want to multitask.  Almost 13,000 photos in my library.  And I decided to buy the extra iCloud Drive storage for added backup protection.  It took about three days for my photos to transfer to the cloud, but it all looks good now.
Cheering for sports teams can be pretty difficult.  Montreal on the verge of playoff elimination… and the Blue Jays have fallen off a cliff.  I knew they may take a step back this year… but 3-12? Never saw that coming.
Got a new car.  Had to get out of my lease early on the old Mazda 3 but I didn’t want to deal with two more winters of it getting stuck in the snow.  They don’t do a great job snow clearing in my neighbourhood and two or three times, each of the last two winters, I either couldn’t move the car and had to shovel it off the road… or I didn’t even bother to try, knowing the car wasn’t going to go anywhere if I did.  So an all wheel drive CX-5 has taken over.  My first automatic transmission since leaving Newfoundland… and my first SUV/Crossover.  I have to admit it’s a nice thing to drive.

Favourite Places
Sometimes while I sit
I think of other places
Far off favourite spots
I wonder how they are

The nature reserve in Florida
Is the sun glistening off the lake?
Is a gator sunning on the shoreline?
Does an anole patrol that tree?

The costal trail of Cape Spear
The crook in the rocks where I have sat
Watching the seas while tucked from wind
Is it snowy and ice covered?
Can I hear the churning waters below?

That Ancient Greek track
Atop the climbing trail
Hidden from those not venturing
I imagine a lone bee
Patrolling the stadium’s edge
Inspecting mountain top flowers
For a tasty, historic treat.

I even think of nearby places
Of that spot in my woods
Where the trail arcs around a tree
And I wonder if there’s a sniffing dog
Or sunning snake.
I wonder if a robin’s there
Building a nest
With a trailside view.

And while I am left to wonder of the far off places
It is this near one I should go
To see if I can find that snake
Or get a scolding from the robin
For pausing too close to it’s springtime home.

No comments: