Scottish Highlands

Scottish Highlands

Saturday, April 29, 2017

Making It Up As I Go Along #679

An unusual day last Sunday.  Driving in to work… and see a young moose on the side of the road.  A few hundred yards beyond was a wild turkey.  Wild turkeys are barely worth noticing when they follow up a moose.  After work, I met Bev for supper downtown.  First time I’ve seen her in several years, and it was good to catch up.  Then, on the way home from that, I spot a deer on the side of the road.

I still find it hard to think of Trump as the American President.  It jars me when I hear people call him President Trump.  He’s also the first president that, when he speaks, I don’t believe a word that comes out of his mouth.  I’ve seen politicians lie before.  But Trump is the first that I don’t think he’s necessarily lying about the things he says.  Rather, I don’t think he has any idea what he’s talking about.  And I think I’d rather think a world leader is lying than be totally ignorant of the facts of the matter.

The Yellow Jackets are around again this spring.  Last summer I thought they were nesting in my siding, in the back yard.  Now I wonder if they just like the warmth and sun in the back.  I got one of those paper imitation nests to see if that will make them steer clear… but it’s been Newfoundland like windy since I bought it and that’s really best out there in calm weather.

The city of St. John’s is officially out of the AHL again.  And this time, probably for good.  AHL hockey was played in my home town for twenty years and dad and I partook in much of it.  I really like the Mile One Stadium as a facility but my main memories of the hockey come from old Memorial Stadium.  It was small and had the character that only an old arena can have.  Narrow corridors, dimly lit corners… a closeness to the ice surface from no matter where you sat.  Modern facilities are just more generic now.  They’re like box stores… the same layout of feel no matter what city you’re in.  I haven’t been to a game in St. John’s for several years.  And haven’t been to one with dad in probably five… if not five, fifteen.  But I’ll miss the idea of AHL hockey in St. John’s.  It was always good knowing it was there.  Knowing that each season may allow for me to get to a game on a winter trip home.

I never dreamed the Blue Jays being this bad this year.  But it also shows how much more of a baseball fan I now am compared to hockey.  Despite the 6-17 record, I’m quick to turn on a Jays game.  Even when the Montreal Canadiens were playing a playoff game at the same time, I found myself more often drifting back to the baseball game.  I find myself thinking GM strategy now.  Wondering what can be done to improve things.  Or what should be done as the record continues to slip.  I actually got the release of the backup catcher dead on.  I went to bed thinking “maybe now is the time to let him go and go with a younger backup”… and then I woke to find they did just that.

Wind Wimpy
I once tolerated it
When there was hair to dishevel
I’d endure the gusts
Accounting for a street hockey head wind
Jogging five feet away from a fly ball in softball
Knowing the wind would close the gap
I’d turn my childhood coat into a kite
Hoping the blowing would lift me up
As my pocketed hands stretched out my fabric wings

But now it drives me indoors
A sunny, warm walk gladly ended
As I look forward to getting out of the heavy breeze
Watching the sway of the treetops
I see it as I would rain
The price for having lost the wonder
If only my jacket really could grant me windy flight.


No comments: