Scottish Highlands

Scottish Highlands

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Karlos


I didn't plan to share this with anyone else but after hearing from Karl's sister and thinking about her words, I decided to post it.  So this is what I wrote for Karl and gave it to him on our last meeting.  He was a good friend who will be sorely missed by many.

Karlos
Offering friendship when others claimed friends enough
Offering a tour of your town on bike
A Saturday route planned out with stops along the way
Stories told here about your youth.

Walks to the pub.
Over the Rideau
Searching the waters as we cross
Discussing black swans as if their sighting each time is treasure.

Winter’s cold bringing just enough chill in the getting there
To have a table for two invite us by the fire
Where mits and hats defrost
As soup and chicken fingers warm us

Summer’s heat with just enough breeze
To sit at the booth by the open window
Sipping Guinness with deep relaxed breaths
Welcoming the warmth of the season

Movie nights after pub meals
Leaving just enough room for popcorn
Talking softly of the movie to see
As butter fills the air and kernels poppingly proclaim that the film is about to begin.

Soft conversations on the walk home
Asking about the women I know
Hoping to hear of me finding the perfect one
And telling me secrets of darker days that can only be shared through trust

Honouring me with words of meaning
Telling me how in times of mania
When wild thoughts override sleep
That my presence brings calm

All I can do is be thankful
Glad for the friendship that we have shared
Happy to be appreciated by one so special
And hopeful that you understand the profound influence you have had on me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris,

Thank you so much for sharing. You were a best friend to Karl and he told me many times how you stuck by his side throughout his battle with mental illness. I think much like myself you saw Karl for who he was including his diagnosis of schizoaffective disorder, not a man who was mentally ill. That is the biggest gift you gave him. The fact that you supported him when he was not seeing anyone else socially besides his family is huge. It says a lot about the person you are Chris. A lot.

Jennifer Goertzen

Anonymous said...

Chris thank you so much for letting others peek into your world with Karl. I have printed it as I need to keep it with my mementos as you explained beautifully who Karl was, what he enjoyed and how much you cared for him as a friend!

Darlene Fast (Karl's oldest sister)

Chris said...

Thanks to both of you. Karl was honest, caring, funny, and always interested to know what was going on in your life. In this day and age, these are qualities that are getting hard to come by. I felt good having such a person as a friend.