Scottish Highlands

Scottish Highlands

Monday, November 05, 2012

Making It Up As I Go Along #524


Late blog writing is almost becoming a habit these days.  But October was my busiest month in a long time.  Two weeks in NF running around with the parents.  Then two weeks of Ruby and Lee staying at my place with my work schedule still into consideration and a wedding to go as well meant writing was hard to come by. 

At least for me, I need to get my head in a particular place before I can write anything.  And alone time where things are fairly low key is really how my head gets there.

So here is the posting that was due on October 22.  And the next one will come, as scheduled, on Nov. 7.  So two in quick succession is the plan.


In a Galaxy Far Far Away… a Mouse
Disney frightens me.  I know it shouldn’t.  And I adored it as a kid.  My childhood trip to Disney World was otherworldly at the time.  I had constantly watched Wonderful World of Disney on Sunday’s.  Disney movies were my biggest events.  And Mickey Mouse was bordering on being my hero. 

Our trip to Disney got me a stuffed toy Mickey.  And this was, for many years, my most prized possession.  Had the 10 year old me been asked to pick one personal possession to save in the case of a fire… it was Mickey.  And that mouse was my sleeping companion for many years.  Even when I went on sleepovers at friend’s houses and stuffed toys were relegated to bedroom closets or book shelf ends… Mickey held his place. 

On more than one occasion, I would smuggle him into the bottom of my sleeping bag and, when the lights went out and we began to settle down for the night in the living room, my Mickey would make his way up from the base of the sleeping bag into my arms.

So what is it that now frightens me?  It’s the Disney purchase of Lucasfilms.  And the thought of Disney made Star Wars movies.

This shouldn’t frighten me at all.  The way the last three Star Wars movies were made can make a fan of the franchise question George Lucas’ sanity.  And his miss on the last Raiders of the Lost Ark movie also leaves one to wonder if George is in need of retirement. 

So perhaps Disney will work wonders on Star Wars.  But I keep imagining a brighter, friendlier, happier far away galaxy.  Where cartoon robots tell jokes in Robin Williams voice and wookies mistakenly kiss ewoks as one of each carelessly slurp either end of a long string of spaghetti. 

I know these fears aren’t rational.  Disney does its share of dark work.  Bambi’s mother died after all.  And the Fox and the Hound grew up with… uncomfortable… circumstances surrounding them.

I know it’s a fear of the unknown.  It’s fear of a loss of the familiar.  Star Wars isn’t Star Wars if the 20th Century Fox banner doesn’t open things off with a fanfare of trumpets.  You can’t segue into battling star ships by way of a castle and Tinkerbelle.

But maybe things will work out.  The Galaxy Far Far Away… is a galaxy open to many films worth of exploring.  And Disney is likely more capable of  this exploration than Lucas currently is.

I guess I am left wishing more franchises left well enough alone.  Back to the Future suffered because of its sequels.  Only half of the four Indiana Jones movies are worth watching.  The third Spider-Man movie was horrendous.  And the Godfather went one movie too far as well. 

Looking at Rocky, Jaws, Alien, and Major League… we see more movie franchises that went beyond what they should have (although Rocky does have the odd distinction of having a 6th episode that is likely its second best movie in the franchise). 

In the end, maybe things will work out fine and Star Wars will take on a James Bond quality where the franchise can go on for generations.  But more often, great movie franchises overstay their welcome.  And it would be a shame to see the original three Star Wars movies lumped in with half a dozen mediocre money grabs.

Perhaps Mickey will serve me well once again… we’ll just have to wait and see.


TUESDAY…
--- Days.  Pretty busy day.  Good supper by Ruby after work and it’s some wine and chatting afterwards.

WEDNESDAY…
--- Days again.  Straight to Lee Valley from work for more racks for the garage.  Then to the hockey game with Lee, Melissa, Nick, and Melissa’s dad.  Junior hockey… fun game.

THURSDAY…
--- Nights.  Busy night really. 

FRIDAY…
--- Up just after noon.  Really nice day… sunny and mid 20s.  See Bill, Alice and Elaine for a short visit to my place.  Then off to Gatineau to pick up Craig for a visit after his business in town.  Supper downtown and an evening in after that.

SATURDAY…
--- Breakfast is Subway… not super… likely be a long time before doing that again.  Bit of a walk in the woods and then I’m off to Nick and Melissa’s wedding.  Pick up Jamie and go with her… sit with Brenda and her husband as well… and it’s a nice evening.  I leave close to 10:00 to head home and spend some time with Craig.

SUNDAY…
--- Some shopping with Craig with a lunch at the Barley Mow. 
--- His flight is cancelled so it’s supper for four and the World Series on the tube.  Nice to see the Giants win.

MONDAY…
--- Up early bringing Craig to the airport.  Lazy times for a while after that.  Lunch with Ruby, Lee, Nick, Melissa and their parents.

TUESDAY…
--- Good sleep.  Get some stuff done in the garage… things are all neat and organized there.  Walk with Ruby and roast beef supper.

WEDNESDAY…
--- Work days… home for supper with Ruby and Lee while Ruby handles the ten trick or treaters.  Melissa comes for a visit as well.

THURSDAY…
--- Off to work and Ruby and Lee leave.  Have an interview about another possible position in another department upstairs.  Home to find the new neighbours moving in.  Just see them out the window as they start unpacking cars.

FRIDAY…
--- Night shift.  And all that comes with it… nap before work… and kind of busy at work.

SATURDAY…
--- Visit Karl before work.  He’s not doing so well now.
--- Work is long thanks to the clocks going back.  13 hour shift isn’t so fun.  Kind of quiet though.

SUNDAY…
--- Ball this afternoon.  Finally win a game and I don’t make an error while actually playing a few balls back at shortstop.  So that’s pretty good.
--- Drinks and snacks at Jenn’s after the game.  A good time to hang with the team… we don’t do that very often.


No comments: