Scottish Highlands

Scottish Highlands

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Making It Up As I Go Along #554


Nature’s Paparazzi
The nighttime woods brings mystery
An unseen world on the edge of normalcy
Where rodents curl up in dreams
Where frogs and toads broadcast existence
Where crickets chirp you to sleep.

A frightening movie changes the woods
With TV shut off a hesitation
Unsure to look to the woods before bed
Doing it expecting a shadowy figure
Glowing red eyes staring back at me.

Tonight another change
Parking the car and looking across
Seeing sparkles within the black
Standing out in the summer air
Watching the flash of fireflies.

My driveway becomes the red carpet
I’m the movie star
And out there in darkness they flash
Nature’s paparazzi
Hanging in the shadows
While photographing my wonder.

SUNDAY...
--- Days alone. Nothing much out of the ordinary.

MONDAY...
--- Another day alone. Melissa joins me for lunch and, after work, it's softball at 6:30. Close to 40 degrees for the game. We win and head to a pub for some team bonding afterwards. After the pub I head home and catch sight of my first fireflies. They're flashing in and out of the woods across the street from the house.

TUESDAY...
--- Nights. Keith is back. Pretty steady on the workload.

WEDNESDAY...
--- Cheat night is my first batch of A&W in quite a while. Every time I get A&W I think of hockey games with dad. Getting some burgers and rings. Eating them by Quidi Vidi Lake. Then walking to Memorial Stadium to catch a Maple Leaf game. A&W eaten at work is tasty but not as good as the memories of it.

THURSDAY...
--- Still hot. I'm up too early. 10:45 or so is way to early when it was lights out at 6:45. Lounge some and do a half hour walk in the heat.
--- Snooze in front of the TV tonight.

FRIDAY...
--- Hot. Mid 40s with the humid ex this afternoon. I do a half hour walk and it drains. Tornado watch today too.

SATURDAY...
--- Mow the lawns. Come across a tree frog on my front lawn. He seems quite content to visit my hand for a bit.
--- Some reading and hammock time in the evening.

No comments: