Scottish Highlands

Scottish Highlands

Thursday, September 04, 2014

Making It Up As I Go Along #591

Saved by Frogs
Despite the blackening grey I go
Cross the street to the trees
Turning from sidewalk to the path
Like a deep sigh of relaxation.

Each step parts the way
A sea of hoppers
Flinging back into the grass
Like freshly popped corn

Fluffs of life drift
Slowly ballooning the breeze
Looking for a place to perch
In hopes of creating baby cattails

The buzzing chime dominates
A million crickets calling
Each individual drowned out
In the collective hum of summer

I pause at the frog pool
With sticklebacks sharing the space
The frogs perch around the shore
Waiting for the cool evening to come

A drop upon my arm
Followed by silent splashes
Dotting the pool’s surface
Gentle ripples blurring the fish beneath

With clouds darkening and arms moist
I step away from the pool
Back through the summer grass
To the path that takes me home

Within a hundred feet the imperceptible is perceived
I quicken my pace to dryness
Mere steps in front of rain
On the edge of weather

Rounding the ponds shore affords a glance
A million drops dance over the stillness
My change in direction loses my lead
My arms and legs feel the cool splashes

And reaching my step I pause
Turning from the protection of eaves
Looking back as the sheets cascade
The shy sprinkles transformed to rain

Drowning the hum of crickets
Symboling off millions of leaves
Drumming the pavement
As the summer heat steams the road

And I thank the frogs
As they must be pooling with glee
Without my pause to say hello
I would never have made it home


THURSDAY/FRIDAY…
--- Days alone.   Thursday pretty busy, Friday a bit calmer.  But both pretty typical work days really.
--- Get some Chinese food after work Friday.  More than what one would have but that makes it good for a few meals.

SATURDAY/SUNDAY…
--- Nights alone on the weekend.  Get the majority of the regular tasks done on Saturday, leaving Sunday to be fairly quiet with only priority stuff to get done.
--- Eat left over Chinese both nights.  Three meals from the Friday feed… not bad.

MONDAY…
--- Groceries, laundry, lawn mowing, walk.  Fairly domestic day.

TUESDAY…
--- Wake up with a sore neck.  Slept funny.  It’s not the end of the world pain but enough to be annoying. 
--- More walking and quiet around the house.

WEDNESDAY…
--- Around twenty frogs all hanging out in one small pool along the walk.  Pretty neat to see.  I don’t go to far today as the rain begins around ten minutes in.  I turn about, even though it isn’t much beyond a sprinkle.  As soon as I reach my front step the heavens open up. 

THURSDAY…
--- Neck still touchy.  Do another walk, this time with the camera.  Lots of frog and toad shots to be had… a few birds as well.  Missed out on the young garter snake that I disturbed as it was sunning itself. 

--- I hope I’m gaining leg muscle or something.  I’ve been eating pretty good this summer and walking a lot since July.  Still, I step on the scale and see I’ve put on five pounds. 

No comments: