Scottish Highlands

Scottish Highlands

Sunday, August 27, 2017

Making It Up As I Go Along #588

First blog post not being shared to Facebook.  Makes me feel like I’m likely now only writing to my parents… but that’s fine, I suppose.

I’m now at that age where you can have to deal with aches and pains through the act of doing nothing.  Sleep can cause it… apparently.  I now have a tender spot on my hip.  It doesn’t affect walking but if I push in that area, it aches… and if I sit funny on the sofa, it barks at me pretty good.

And now my left shoulder is acting up.  Several years ago I injured my right one fairly badly.  Right now the left feels kind of like the right did in the week prior to blowing out.  And all I can put to it is sleeping on that side.  I suppose I could have done something to it while mowing the lawn or vacuuming the house, but the sleep seems like the most likely answer.  Perhaps it’s time to invest in a better mattress.

In some ways I feel like I’m becoming a bigger fan of the Dunedin Blue Jays than the Toronto team.  I follow them on twitter and keep an eye on how the team does.  And I find myself wanting to make a summer trip there to catch some of their games.  For the last three years I’ve gone and seen Spring Training Blue Jay games in Dunedin.  But I’ve always been curious about how it would be to watch the minor league team during their regular season.  It’s an amazing difference in fan support between the big leaguers Spring games and the minor leaguers regular season ones.  Almost 6,000 there, selling out during the spring.  Barely 1,000 there during the summer.  And through it all, there’s more temptation to jet down to Dunedin for a few games there than to pop down to Toronto for games in the Dome.

Backyard Bunny
My yard is his oasis
Stretching out
The occasional grassy snack
He lounges against my hammock frame

Twice of witnessed
A glance out my back door
And he just sits
Ears attentive to danger

He isn’t the first
Melting snow shows pellets
Hints of a garden toilet
On snowy winter nights

But it’s the first I’ve watched
Comfortable enough for daylight hours
Nibbling his supper
In the early evening shade

Spotted during TV breaks
When I go for a snack
And glance out the door
Freezing in double take as he sits

Has me glued to windows
Snapping pictures
And simply observing his life
As my TV goes unwatched

No comments: