Scottish Highlands

Scottish Highlands

Thursday, August 03, 2017

Making It Up As I Go Along #685

Actually back on the laptop to write this one.  First time I’ve written a post on the laptop in about two years.  All others have been done on the iPad, in that time.  Part of the reason for that being the slowness of my laptop.  But I turned it on, yesterday, for the first time in two months, and it’s working pretty well.  So I figured “why not”.

Cough is just about gone.  I’m down to an occasional, throat clearing type of cough.  And it isn’t interrupting my talking with coughing spurts anymore.  One month… and I’m pretty well back to normal.

Went to war with Yellowjackets this week.  Last week, I was stung while putting the cover back on the BBQ.  This week I found a small nest on the underside of the BBQ.  Sprayed it… and I figured it was all done with. 

The next day I found another small nest.  This time in my backdoor light structure.  I thought these things were territorial yet, in two days, I found two nests within five feet of each other.  More spraying took care of this one.  And I took the hose to it too, to get rid of the bits of nest left behind.

The following day, I notice yellowjackets going in and out from part of the siding of the house.  More spraying (three times in three days within a 10 foot space). 

I think it may be done (knock on wood).  Since then I’ve seen a few yellowjackets fly through the yard.  But haven’t seen any perch anywhere around the house. 

I also have had a small battle with backyard ants.  A while ago, I noticed a little squad of them around my patio stones.  But I thought “if they’re going to stay around there, I’ll leave them in peace”.  But now I’ve noticed that they’ve pretty well laid claim to my entire back patio.  Scurrying about looking for food.  So I took out the spray bottle and had a go.  I may have gotten some of them… but that is a war that surely is not won.

I booked a flight home.  The annual, September trip is a go.  I won’t be there overly long but it’ll be a solid week.  Not sure if Fogo Island will be included or if I’ll just stay around town.  I had been back and forth about going this year.  Wondering if I’d be better staying in Ottawa and having more available vacation time to help mom and dad with the condo in the fall.  But, in the end, the deciding factor was the knowledge that if I didn’t go in September, I likely wouldn’t go until next summer.  That would have meant being away from Newfoundland for a year and a half.  When, in the past, I’ve been going home about three times a year, the idea of going once in eighteen months just didn’t seem right.


Summer Dreams
I used to dream of summers.
Being woken by the morning brightness.
No other season could match
The summer glow
Against my bedroom wall.

Summer lasted forever then.
With school’s end
It brought a year of adventures
Sports, sleepovers, backyard play and family trips
All packed into months of golden green warmth.

Years later, summertime work has never seemed right.
What was spaced over months back then
Is now crammed into a few weeks.
Strict bedtimes and alarm clocks
Shedding the magic of summer youth.

In fact now I prefer the autumn.
With comfy fleeces to keep us warm,
Backyard wasp battles over and won.
And the postcard beauty of changing leaves
Making the forests a quilt of colour.

But nothing replaces those summer memories
Which come trickling back
In those quiet moments of newly woke mornings
Bringing a warm, childhood glow
To my adult home

So many years away.

No comments: