Scottish Highlands

Scottish Highlands

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Making It Up As I Go Along #209

MONDAY…
--- Fairly quiet day all around. Quiet around the house in the AM and early afternoon… and quiet night at work.

TUESDAY…
--- Work is fine. It’s good to hear my new team agreeing with the stupidity of Paul McCartney and wife. I wondered if it was really only Newfoundlanders who thought that way.

WEDNESDAY…
--- Dull week. Again, not much out of the ordinary. Do some grocery shopping before work… work is pretty normal… supper at Wendy’s with Mike… some TV when I get home.

THURSDAY…
--- Day of the Amazon! I come home after evening shift is over and I have a package in the mailbox… from Amazon. Then as I walk from the mailbox to the house, I see another package sitting patiently at my front door… from Amazon. Presents from sister and family and a treat from me arrive on the same day.
--- Work goes smooth once again.
--- NHL trade deadline day means the morning is spent with sports channels on TV. Always a bit of fun on this day.

FRIDAY…
--- Feeling kind of achy all over at work tonight. Maybe I’m tired… sleep wasn’t great last night.
--- Saw Crash again before work (part of it on the movie network anyway). I like that movie more each time I see it. Also watched Punch Drunk Love on DVD… very different movie but I really like that one too.

SATURDAY…
--- Lord of the Rings on DVD in the morning… and part of the afternoon. Long but the extended version is good too.
--- The windows are open! It warms up today to a point where I can actually let some fresh air into the house.


Attaining World Harmony
Paul and Heather McCartney want to save the seals. Bless their hearts, they work really hard at it. The trip across the Atlantic and a bumpy helicopter ride out to the ice flows of the Gulf of St. Lawrence. Heather even had a seal take a snap at her… how something so cuddly and fluffy can be so ill tempered I just don’t know.

Then came the press. Interviews and debates and TV time… I mean the makeup, just think of the time getting makeup! Poor, poor McCartneys.

But there was a simpler way to fight for their cause. A way that has worked well for two other cold weather animals. Their images have never been stronger among humans and it’s all due to one wonderful organization. An organization that has been linked to so much good that it will soon battle the major religions of this world as it preaches peace on Earth and a love of all creatures. That organization… Coca Cola!

It began back when I was a child. Who among us, at least thirty years old, can forget the commercial with people from all different nationalities singing together… “I'd like to teach the world to sing/ In perfect harmony/ I'd like to buy the world a Coke/ And keep it company”

As the years went by, Coca Cola went from peace among all the peoples of the world to a love of animals. And the first species to be saved… the Polar Bear.

Coke has bombarded the world with cuddly, domesticated cola drinking families of bears. We see mother bear nurturing baby bear with a bottle of sweet Coke nectar. We go to stores and there to greet us are stuffed toy bears with Coca Cola emblems attached to them. Playing cards with Coke bears on the back… drink coasters… posters… the Polar Bear and Coca Cola developed a truly symbiotic relationship. Take a look at some of the bear/Coke products here

We’ve been so inundated with the Polar Bear/ Coke partnership that when I recently saw footage of real Polar Bears at a zoo… with a mother bringing her cubs out for the viewing public… all I could think was “aww, how cute… give them a Coke!” Somehow the picture wasn’t complete without at least one of those cubs suckling on a glass bottle of black goodness.

Coke decided to teach us harmony among those of the animal kingdom… although they decided to forgo any element of a geography lesson. The Polar Bears wander up to and embrace the world of the penguin. The fact that Polar Bears are only found in the arctic and penguins are an Antarctic animal doesn’t matter… cold is cold and we’ve got Coke to sell.

And rather than partake in a wondrous penguin feast the likes of which no bear has ever seen, the Polar Bears are here to promote love, harmony and Coke. Baby bear finds baby penguin and the concept of sharing is taught as well… with a smile and a bottle. Yes, mamma bear looks pleased and penguin starts a chuggin’.

And due to the efforts of Coca Cola, would anyone ever dream of doing harm to a Polar Bear or a penguin? Of course not. They’re our friends. In fact, if we got great heaps of tourists and flew them to the natural bear and penguin habitats, we could stand lovingly by, watching these miraculous creatures as we sip on our own Coke. Maybe we could even get a picture of our children handing a Polar Bear a bottle… wouldn’t that be a beautiful moment?

So the answer is clear for Sir Paul and Maid Heather. Don’t fight the Sealers. Don’t bone up on your facts prior to a sit down interview with Larry King. Strike a deal with Coca Cola. Bring seals into the mix with the bears and penguins. Let Paul write a song that will be remembered for generations (much like that song wishing to ‘buy the world a Coke’).

It will be win/win… Paul will get a new hit song... Coke will pick up a new merchandise line… the seals will be saved… and so will the codfish. After all, if you had a choice between a raw fish belly and a Coke, which one would you take?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the connection between the Coke-a-cola ads and the seals. I had not thought of it! Good stuff! Mom

Anonymous said...

Good writing this week. I think your writing is much more mature than it was. I find it hard to support that statement, but you seem more confident and at ease with the way you write. Do you think this is so? It would be interesting to analyse samples from early, middle and later writing. Hope you are enjoying your weekend. Will talk later. Love, Dad.

Anonymous said...

Hey bud,
Good stuff as usual. I love the way you look at things. You usually can make me laugh or really make me think about things. I love that about your writing.

It's good to see that you've taken up blogging. I'll be checking in regularly.

I missed you.

Jackie